Sunday, September 5, 2010

Cationary Word

Sup dudes.

So I found out Friday I have a stress fracture in my right foot which has left me in a boot for the next 4 weeks. After discussing this with my doctor this is probably from going pretty hard with the vibrams, barefoot running, and forefoot stride. This type of working out was great for my ankles, knees, glutes, hips, back, core... I was really digging it. Vanessa had told me before from Barefoot Ted's workshop that he had warned about "too much too soon", which makes sense as you are working muscles in a way you have never done in your life before. I thought this was mostly for major long distance runners, but just from the sprinting workouts I did combined with some longer runs and crossfit stuff, it was enough to develop the fracture. The doc told me this occurs over the course of 6-12 months, and I switched to forefoot about 9 months ago. Huge bummer. I know I've told a ton of people how much I liked this style of running, and I do hope to go back to it eventually, but taking it a little slower. So I hope everyone I recommended it to sticks with it but be careful, and don't overdo anything. I was blindsided by this injury, and I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Since I can't really do cardio right now (no access to a pool) I'm gonna start a injury sketchbook, and try and sketch it up as a little replacement hobby for the next 4 weeks.

:-(

No comments: